APVDrone is currently known for using GPS drones like the Mavic Air, Spark, and Holly Stone HS700 to focus primarly on photography. Lately we’ve started to get into FPV drones as well. We are currently working on our first FPV drone build list.
We’re interested to know what makes them tick. How do they operate? What parts are best for what setup? How do you build them? And of course, what’s up with the cool goggles everyone wears?
So we decided to ask you guys, FPV drone pilots – What is the best FPV drone on the market?
We learned right away that this was a bit of a loaded question. The majority of the responses were something to the effect of “Well, what do you plan to do with it?”.
A lot people followed that up with statements like “If you want to fly FPV drones, build it yourself!”.
We’ve found that spending time researching FPV drone parts and builds is a lot of fun. The reward for the work will come when we actually do a build ourselves.
Here is a build list of the main components you need in order to build a solid FPV drone:
- Motor (x4)
- Electronic Speed Control (ESC) & power distribution board (PDB) [nowadays these come as one single board]
- Flight Control Board
- FPV Camera
- Battery [4S vs. 5S vs. 6S, what’s your favorite?]
Some of the peripheral things you’ll need will be:
- Battery charger
- Parallel charging board [not completely necessary, but will speed up your charging time]
- Battery strap(s)
- FPV Goggles
- FPV Receiver [if it’s not built in to the goggles]
Of course there will also be some miscellaneous things like zip ties, tape and/or velcro, and wire.
As far as tools go, you will also want to have access to a soldering iron, small screwdrivers, hex wrenches, needle-nose pliers, wire cutter and a hot glue gun.
In successive blog articles we’ll go over each part in detail and try to provide recommendations where we can.
Here’s where you guys can help us out. Give your recommendations in the comments below.
- What’s your favorite frame for freestyle? Favorite for racing?
- How do you size motors?
- What’s your favorite prop for freestyle? Favorite for racing?
- Betaflight vs. Raceflight vs. KISS [or any others you prefer]
- Favorite flight controller?